There are three main components in our project this year:
- Chlorophyll Biosynthesis Pathway
- By expressing 4 operons the protoporphyrin-IX molecule can be transformed into chlorophyll-a.
- Protoporphyrin-IX is present within E. coli and is typically used to make a different tetrapyrrole: heme.
- Photosystem II
- Through the expression of 5 operons we aim to induce E. coli to build the Photosystem II protein complex which contains the Oxygen Evolving Centre of photosynthesis.
- A hydrogenase enzyme can take two protons and two electrons to build H2 (molecular hydrogen).