In the media
One of our priorities during the project has been to inspire and amaze the general public. We appeared in more than 20 printed newspapers in Denmark, countless web-newspapers and where invited for radio interviews on the radio station NOVA (the third most listened to radio station in Denmark), the P1 Science Magazine and even the Austrian Radio Vienna. The week of our press release our story was THE most printed article from Ritzau news agency (the biggest news bureau in Denmark) and after the Jamboree in Boston we were contacted by New Scientist Magazine!. This media attention was very educative and an excellent platform to engage in ethical discussion. We addressed and discussed this issue in a follow-up article in one of the biggest newspapers in Denmark 'Politiken' and in the radio interview on NOVA. On this page you can see some headlines from selected papers as well as a full list of our media appearances.
Disclaimer:Due to Danish press-laws, we are unable to deep-link to the articles themselves. Instead, every screenshot below links to the paper's main site (or the relevant section's site), from which a quick search for 'spacemoss' yields the relevant article
New Scientist is a UK-based weekly English-language international science magazine, founded in 1956. The magazine covers current developments, news, reviews and commentary on science and technology. The SpaceMoss article was printed online under the headline 'Moss on Mars? Plant species being cultivated for astronaut drugs' and appeared in print under the headline “I moss say, life on Mars is a breeze” in October 2015.
dr.dk (Danish Broadcasting Corporation)
DR (Danish Broadcasting Corporation) is Denmark’s oldest and largest electronic media enterprise. The corporation was founded in 1925 as a public service organisation. DR is an independent, licence financed public institution comprising television, radio and online services. Headline: 'Could Moss be the road to Mars?'
Politiken is the largest newspaper in Denmark and dates back to 1884. Their website newspaper, where we appeared, has around 50 million views every month from around 870.000 users. Headline: 'Danish scientists wants to grow Moss on Mars' Politiken also shared a qoute from team-member Jophiel Wiis on their facebook page which resulted in further exposure and some fun and interesting discussions in the comments.
Jyllands Posten is the third largest newspaper in Denmark and is based in the Jutland region of Denmark and dates back from 1871. Jyllands-posten featured our article both in print (circulation: around 100.000) and on their web newspaper. Headline: 'Moss could be the building blocks for human life on Mars'
Ekstra Bladet is the largest 'tabloid' magazine in Denmark and the fourth most read printed paper. The ekstrabladet web newspaper is THE most read internet paper in Denmark.
MetroXpress is the largest free newspaper in Denmark and the most read paper in Denmark with around 429.000 daily reader.
University Post Article
This was the first article written about SpaceMoss. It was written by Elena Knuth-Pollok for the University Post which is the English-language media of the University of Copenhagen. It is editorially independent of the University of Copenhagen.
The danish radio-station Nova brought a ten minute interview with Christina Toldbo from Team Spacemoss. Lots of topics were covered, including our grand vision of making trips to Mars easier, how we propose to do it, and not least, the ethics involved.
Full List of media appearence
- DR - Danish public radio and TV: "Could moss lead the way to Mars?"
- Politiken: "Danish researchers will grow moss on Mars"
- Information "Mos kan blive byggesten for menneskeliv på Mars"
- Ekstra Bladet: "Moss can become the building blocks for human life on Mars"
- Jyllands Posten: "Moss can become building blocks for human life on Mars"
- Avisen.dk "Facts: This is what moss can be used for on Mars" "Moss can become building blocks for human life on Mars"
- Fyens.dk "Moss can become building blocks for human life on Mars" "Facts: This is what moss can be used for on Mars"
- MitFyn.dk "Moss can become the building blocks for human life on Mars" "Moss can be used for this"
- Korte nyheder "Moss can lead the way to Mars"
- Radio Nova: Radio interview
- Helsingør Dagblad "Mos kan blive byggesten for liv på Mars"
- Nordjyske Stiftatidene "Mos kan skaffe mad til Mars"
- Horsens Dagblad "Mos kan blive byggesten for liv på Mars"
- Fyns Stiftstidende "Mos kan blive byggesten for liv på Mars"
- Metro Express "Mos kan blive byggesten for liv på Mars"
- Dagbladet Køge "Mos kan blive byggesten for liv på Mars"